Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is currently looking for an Application Engineer based in Dublin, Ireland to support our Product Management team.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid with our modular Flexible AC Transmission Systems (FACTS) solutions. The Smart Wires Product Management team aims to ensure that Smart Wires’ current and future products enable our customers to deliver reliable, low-cost, safe electricity while accelerating the decarbonization of the electricity sector and supporting widespread load electrification.
The Application Engineer reports to the Director of Product Management. Qualified candidates are energetic, excellent communicators with power sector experience who thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Serve as the primary product expert throughout the sales process. This includes educating the customer and other stakeholders on Smart Wires’ products and solutions, addressing the product components of tender processes and ensuring the product-related components of the contract are properly transferred to the Deployment Team upon contract execution.
- Supporting Product Management’s activities to advance the Smart Wires Product Roadmap by:
- understanding the needs of the market, competitive offerings, synergistic offerings and new technological breakthroughs;
- preparing the requisite materials to make informed decisions about the Product Roadmap; and
- helping to define product requirements.
- Representing Smart Wires’ products through engagement in the development of standards and speaking at industry events.
- Maintaining our existing repository of product/solution collateral and developing new product/solution collateral.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems or Power Electronics.
- Minimum 2 years of industry experience, preferably working for a utility or equipment vendor with experience that overlaps with the responsibilities of this position.
- Excellent written communication and verbal presentation skills in English.
- Ability to work collaboratively in global teams.
- Ability to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment and not be hindered by ambiguity or multiple competing priorities.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering
- Experience with one or more of the following:
- FACTS or HVDC
- Power System Protection
- Substation Design
- IEEE and/or IEC standards for high-voltage equipment
- Smart Wires has 3 hubs in Europe – Athens, Greece; Berlin, Germany and Dublin, Ireland. The candidate can select at which of these hubs to be based.
- This position will require ~25% travel. This travel is expected to consist mostly of day-trips or one-night trips within Europe but will also include spending roughly 4 weeks per year at the Smart Wires’ global headquarters near San Francisco, CA.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn't expect a typical recruiting process. And, we'd hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes: Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don't have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Product Management Experience: Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your Product Management experience is something we can't live without.
- It Is So Hard to Say Goodbye: Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You: Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn't hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative solution that utility companies need now. Driven by a world-class leadership team with extensive experience delivering highly impactful products, Smart Wires works with utilities globally to address the unique challenges of the rapidly evolving electric system. We deploy our revolutionary power flow control technologies to address problems that are impacting the transmission system: changing generation, congestion, critical reliability issues and more. Our solutions are unique: they provide impactful control and their modular nature enables flexible deployments that can be rapidly scaled up or down to accommodate changes in network needs. And our solutions are a complete paradigm shift for utilities that are used to building new lines and raising the voltage on their existing lines to solve grid problems. Smart Wires gives these utilities a set of tools to make better use of the grid that they already have. And today, the technology is rapidly becoming part of the utility tool kit as more of the leading electric utilities embrace this new way of managing future uncertainty and accelerating decarbonization.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain superstars are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**