Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is currently looking for a Europe-based Power System Engineer to join our international Product and Solution Analytics team.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid with our modular FACTS hardware. The Smart Wires analytics team is reimagining how transmission planning can be done in an optimal and reproducible way. Our current opportunities lie at the intersection of Power System Analysis, Power and Energy Market Analysis, Software Engineering, and Data Analytics.
Power System Engineers report to the Manager of Product and Solution Analytics. This role will also provide technical support to the sales team, help identify new market opportunities, participate in new product development and represent Smart Wires at industry events. Qualified candidates are optimistic, energetic, excellent communicators, and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
- Create reproducible power-flow, steady-state stability, transient stability, and production-cost studies of the customer transmission network
- Facilitate integration of Smart Wires' products into the planning and operations of electrical systems via tool and model development
- Identify new applications for Smart Wires' technology via customer engagement and participation in ISO, FERC, PUC, ENTSO-E, and other regional and regulatory processes and work with the sales team to realize these applications
- Collaborate with the product development team to improve existing products and develop new products
- Represent Smart Wires at external forums, meetings, and industry events
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Engineering, preferably with an emphasis in Power Systems
- Minimum 1-2 years of industry experience
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in transmission system analysis (e.g., PSLF, PSS/e, PowerWorld, PowerFactory, PSCAD, EMTP-RV)
- Sound knowledge of relevant planning criteria
- Proficient in at least one high-level scientific computing language (e.g., Python, R, or Julia)
- Experience with production cost modeling a plus (e.g., PLEXOS, GE MAPS and PROMOD)
- Innovative and creative problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively in remote teams
- This position is located remotely in Europe. You can be located in Dublin, and work in our Dublin office, or can be located remotely and travel as necessary. In either case, this position will include an on-boarding period in the Bay Area when you start, followed by approximately one week per quarter.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn't expect a typical recruiting process. And, we'd hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes: Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don't have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Power System Experience: Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your experience is something we can't live without.
- It Is So Hard to Say Goodbye: Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You: Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn't hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires (www.smartwires.com) has developed an innovative technology that utility companies need now. Driven by a world-class leadership team with extensive experience delivering highly impactful products, Smart Wires works with utilities globally to address the unique challenges of the rapidly evolving electric system. We deploy our revolutionary power flow control technologies to address problems that are impacting the transmission system: changing generation, congestion, critical reliability issues and more. Our solutions are unique: they provide broad system awareness and control, and their modular nature enables flexible deployments that can be rapidly scaled up or down to accommodate changes in network needs. And our solutions are a complete paradigm shift for utilities that are used to building new lines and raising the voltage on their existing lines to solve grid problems. Smart Wires gives these utilities a set of tools to make better use of the grid that they already have. And today, the technology is rapidly becoming part of the utility tool kit as more of the leading electric utilities embrace this new way of mitigating future uncertainties to their power grids.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain superstars are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**