Do you have concerns about climate change or energy affordability and wonder if there is a job out there that would allow you to have massive impact on these critical issues? Have you ever dreamed of working at a company that is filled with unusually passionate superstars and truly “walks-the-talk” around concepts like integrity, creating a true meritocracy, mutual respect, inclusion, and collaboration? If so, read on to see if Smart Wires might have the career opportunity that you have been dreaming about.
Smart Wires is currently looking for a Power System Engineer based in Ireland to support our international Product and Solution Analytics team.
The Power System Engineers report to the Director of Product and Solution Analytics. This role will also be leading a large tool development project, working closely with the commercial team based in Dublin and coordinating with external stakeholders. Qualified candidates are optimistic, energetic, excellent written communicators, and thrive when working as part of a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary team.
Smart Wires is reimagining the grid with our modular FACTS hardware. The Smart Wires analytics team is reimagining how transmission planning can be done in an optimal and reproducible way. Our current opportunities lie at the intersection of Power System Analysis, Power and Energy Market Analysis, Software Engineering, and Data Analytics.
- Lead the integration of Smart Wires' products into the planning and operations of electrical systems via tool and model development.
- Develop real time contingency analysis and decision support tools to dispatch power flow control devices in real time
- Develop Security Constrained Optimal Power Flow (SCOPF) tools with dispatchable power flow control devices.
- Create reproducible power-flow, steady-state stability, transient stability, and production-cost studies of the customer transmission network.
- Collaborate with the product development team to improve existing products and develop new products.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum masters’ degree in Electrical Engineering and/or Computer Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience, with a preference for control room experience
- Fluent in at least one high-level scientific computing language, preferably python
- Experience with production cost modeling (e.g., PLEXOS, GE MAPS and PROMOD)
- Experience with EMS transmission analysis and system identification tools
- Excellent written communication and presentation skills
- Proficient in constrained optimization theory and practice
- Proficient in transmission system analysis (e.g., PSS/e, PowerWorld, PowerFactory, PSCAD, EMTP-RV)
- Sound knowledge of relevant planning criteria
- Innovative and creative problem solving skills
- Self-motivated and willing to take initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively in remote teams
- This position is located in Ireland. You can be located anywhere in Ireland and work remotely, in our Dublin office, and travel as necessary.
If you have been reading closely, you wouldn't expect a typical recruiting process. And, we'd hate to disappoint you. To begin our rather unique recruiting process, please submit your resume and a thoughtful cover letter which explains why you believe you would be the perfect fit for this job. Please note that your cover letter MUST specifically address each of the ideal qualifications described below. So, your first opportunity to impress us is...
- Measurable Successes: Academics is one place where people typically compete with others in a (mostly) objective and fair environment. For that reason, it is great to see candidates that excelled at some type of school. But if you don't have that, share something else that demonstrates your commitment to success, ideally competing against a group of other really motivated cohorts.
- Power System Experience: Everyone who applies will have the required experience. In order to help us make the right choice, tell us why your experience is something we can't live without.
- It's So Hard to Say Goodbye: Tell us about a boss or coworker that nearly or actually cried when you left their team (either in a business or academic environment) and your best guess as to the key reasons that they were nearly in tears. What is it specifically about you that they miss?
- And Gosh Darn It, People Like You: Relate something that gives us confidence that if we were on an elevator with you and the elevator malfunctioned between floors, that we wouldn't hate being stuck there with you for more than three hours while the doors are being repaired by the elevator services team.
Smart Wires develops and implements innovative technologies that advance the delivery of electricity. With our technology, electric utilities can maximize transfer capacity on their grids. This means more renewables, improved flexibility and stability, and less constraints, costs, community and environmental impact. With our next generation SmartValve™ technology, alongside our advanced analytics and consulting services, we are built to assist utilities solve problems and evolve the grid. Smart Wires is based in the United States, with corporate headquarters in Silicon Valley, European headquarters in Dublin, Ireland, and a global workforce.
We are carefully engineering our culture to attract stunning performers who thrive in a "Freedom and Responsibility" culture. Borrowing heavily from the cultural breakthroughs offered by Netflix, this culture rejects tight management of detailed tasks, focusing instead on hiring great people capable of managing important missions with fairly limited direction and supervision. We give even those with limited work experience the resources they need and believe that certain superstars are hard-wired to deliver nothing but truly excellent results. This is an atmosphere of rapid professional development and incredible learning. Our goal is to place superstars in every role so that we rely and trust each other to do our jobs brilliantly, knowing that this strategy ensures a fun, exciting workplace and nearly guarantees continued commercial success.
**Smart Wires is committed to diversity in our organization and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Smart Wires complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination and we especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of any skin color, LGBTQ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.**