Senior Engineer, Sustaining - Drive & Storage Media Engineering
Dell provides the technology that transforms the way we all work and live. But we are more than a technology company — we are a people company. We inspire, challenge and respect every one of our over 100,000 employees. We also provide them with unparalleled growth and development opportunities. We can’t wait for you to discover this for yourself as a Senior Engineer on our Drive & Storage Media Engineering team in Cork, Ireland.
Dell’s reputation for delivering award-winning hardware is legendary and our Hardware Engineering team is at the heart of it. We design and develop analogue as well as digital hardware products – not just computer or network hardware devices but peripherals too. Recognized for our high level of technical expertise in a variety of engineering disciplines, we’re involved across the development lifecycle – from research to the building, testing and delivery of completed products. Innovators in our field, we lead the way in exploring new concepts, approaches, processes, materials and components.
Drive & Storage Media Engineering (DSME) is responsible for the specification, qualification and support of all Solid-State and Hard-Disk Drives used in Dell EMC enterprise server and storage products. The DSME Sustaining team has particular responsibility for management and resolution of all drive technical and quality issues from customer release to end of service life. We work closely with other DSME teams as well as Dell EMC Customer Service, Product Teams, Quality Assurance, and Supplier Partners to achieve and maintain the highest possible field quality, reliability and customer experience.
Key responsibilities of the DSME Sustaining Senior Engineer include:
- Proactively monitor Solid-State and Hard-Disk Drive yields, failure modes, and quality/reliability trends in Dell EMC factory-integration test and field customer locations
- Resolve customer escalations, field quality excursions, and manufacturing integration issues related to Solid-State and Hard-Disk Drives
- Interface with Supplier Partners to drive failure analysis, root-cause determination, containment, corrective action and continuous improvement in response to issues
- Provide input to DSME Drive Qualification Team on field quality / reliability implications of qualification issues, program maturity / acceptability for customer release, and "lessons learned" from customer field experience
- Collaborate with Quality Assurance, Customer Service, and other teams on initiatives to continuously improve quality, serviceability and customer satisfaction for Dell EMC enterprise server and storage systems.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Computer or Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated capability for sound engineering judgement, data analysis, and methodology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to perform effectively as part of a global, multi-cultural team
- Aptitude for working with suppliers to build a relationship of trust, accountability, respect, and mutual benefit
Technical experience with Solid-State and/or Hard-Disk Drive design, development, manufacturing, or support a plus
We offer highly competitive salaries, bonus programs, world-class benefits, and unparalleled growth and development opportunities — all to create a compelling and rewarding work environment.
If you’re ready to deliver the next generation of hardware, this is your opportunity to develop with Dell.