Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class open source query engine. This team is responsible for the core query optimization and query execution functionality in the database server, as well as MongoDB’s geospatial search, text search engine, and update subsystems.
We’re working on improving the system in a number of interesting ways, including evolving the MongoDB query language, making plan selection more robust, optimizing query execution across nodes in a distributed setting, and developing techniques to optimize queries for analytical or business intelligence workloads.
This team currently consists of approximately seven engineers located in New York City and we are looking to expand this team in our EMEA HQ in Dublin. We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users working on everything from cancer research to efficiency in agriculture—so we need your help!
- Hands-on experience building industrial-strength software
- Solid computer science fundamentals, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Experience with large code bases
- Interest in the theory and practice of database query engines. Hands-on experience in the domain is a plus
- B.Sc. in Computer Science
- Candidates with an M.Sc. or Ph.D in a domain related to query execution or optimization who are strong coders may be considered without experience building industrial-strength software
- Understand and improve current functionality of the MongoDB query engine
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features related to query performance and robustness, query language enhancements, diagnostics for query performance problems, and integration with our business intelligence tooling
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with client drivers, cloud services, support, consulting, training, and marketing teams to coordinate changes
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major version, as well as fixed a few bugs in a minor version of our latest stable release series
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are involved in reviewing the design for new features
- In twelve months, you’re leading the development of a new major feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer*