Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
WhatsApp is the world's fastest growing communication service with over 2 billion active users globally. We help bring friends, families, communities, sport groups, clubs and millions of others together, and are just getting started. We are looking for the best individuals to help grow and support this incredible community of users. WhatsApp is seeking a highly motivated and experienced team player to serve as Data Protection Counsel, Product on WhatsApp Ireland’s Data Protection Team, based in our European headquarters in Dublin. The role is a great opportunity for any candidate who is keen to tackle some of today’s toughest and important legal challenges in this cutting-edge area of law. You must have flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and organisational needs. In addition, you must have the ability to operate independently in a fast-paced, small but growing environment. The role will focus on providing strategic and tactical legal counselling to internal legal, product, operations, and business teams in order to identify and mitigate legal risk in all phases of product development. The ideal candidate will have experience advising on GDPR, ePrivacy and other privacy regulatory compliance in respect of cutting-edge products, good judgment, a strong work ethic, and a keen interest in learning about new technologies.
1. Analyse products, policies and initiatives to provide practical legal advice and risk mitigation strategies for products across multiple jurisdictions
2. Monitor and respond to developments in data protection and information security (i.e., new laws, regulations, important judgements, regulatory guidance, etc.)
3. Provide full-service support to wider legal team on EU regulatory and litigation matters and liaising with regulators
4. Provide policy, legal, product, engineering, and other business teams with legal advice on data protection laws and regulations
5. Solicitor or Barrister (qualified to practice law in at least one European jurisdiction)
6. Minimum of 8 years of relevant legal experience, including at a law firm, in-house or in a Data Protection Authority (applicable litigation, regulatory or more general product counselling experience will be considered)
7. In-depth knowledge of legal issues in the area of messaging services and other online platforms including an excellent understanding of data protection law and in particular of GDPR
8. Excellent problem-solving, written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
9. Experience working directly with European Data Protection Authorities
10. Experience working with mobile, application development, social networking, online advertising, machine learning, or other internet technologies
11. Demonstrated ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and provide pragmatic and considered advice under tight deadlines
12. Knowledge of, or fluency in, other European languages a plus
Source : Facebook